According to the US Geological Survey, the quake hit at a 11.7km depth in the Pacific some 200km from Nikolskoe, a village located on the Bering Island off the coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula.
The quake followed several other aftershocks ranging to 1.2 to a couple above 5.0 magnitudes before simmering down.
The earthquake has triggered Tsunami warnings for Russia.
The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said "hazardous tsunami waves were possible for coasts within 300 km (186 miles) of the earthquake epicentre".
The authorities have asked the locals to stay away from the coastal best until more information is issued.
The largest event was magnitude 7.8 earthquake that occurred December 17, 1929.
The quake was initially reported as a magnitude 7.7 before being revised down to 7.4 and finally upgraded to 7.8, a major quake normally capable of causing widespread and heavy damage when striking on or near land. This includes part of the eastern Russia coastline.
- Pánico en el Abasto tras desprenderse un techo
- COLOMBIA: CNE abre pliego de cargos contra Óscar Iván Zuluaga
- South Korea seeks rare talks with North to ease military tensions
- Fuerte amenaza de Trump a Maduro: Detiene la constituyente o habrá sanciones
- Bohemian Rhapsody, la película de Queen está apunto de iniciar grabaciones
- Unión Europea aplica nuevas sanciones a Siria por supuestos ataques químicos
- Beneficiados del Fonavi cobrarán desde este jueves
- El campeón del Mundial 2006 que ahora busca trabajo por Linkedin
- Randazzo subió la apuesta: "Queremos ser Gobierno"
- Inbursa, Banamex y Banco Invex reprobaron evaluación de la CONDUSEF