Witnesses said the wall at the stadium collapsed as police also fired tear gas.
Police used tear gas in an attempt to stop the clashes, which led to mass panic and a stampede.
As spectators began to vacate seats in a rush, part of the stands collapsed, triggering a panicked stampede.
A spokesperson for the country's government Seydou Gueye said a investigation had been opened into the incident.
"All of a sudden when the wall fell.we knew exactly that some of our own had lost their lives because the wall fell directly onto people", Cheikh Maba Diop, whose friend died in the incident, told the AFP (via the BBC).
It's a shame that this is the kind of final that we bring here, in such a stage a final is prepared. The light will be cast on this tragedy.
At least eight people have died in a stampede at a football stadium in Senegal.
Lack of safety at the match was criticised by eyewitness Mara Die Diouf.
The spokesperson for President Macky Sall announced Sunday's legislative electoral campaigning event would be postponed out of respect for the victims. "What do you tell the victims, that the stadium was filled?", a fan said.
At least 49 people were seriously injured in the stampede.
- Muere doble de 'The Walking Dead' durante grabación del programa
- Maduro llama a la oposición al diálogo tras plebiscito
- Se multiplican los rumores sobre el pase de Neymar a PSG
- Varios muertos por gran inundación en Arizona
- Winnie the Pooh just got blacklisted by China
- Policía demandará al alcalde de Barbosa, Antioquia, por agresión a los uniformados
- Dos víctimas fatales en el país — Morir de frío
- Presidenta del CNE está "satisfecha" con simulacro de Constituyente en Venezuela
- Los Sauces: detuvieron al contador de Cristina Kirchner
- Registra Acapulco 30% de cancelaciones por cierre del Paso Express