Ibrahimovic was soon released by the Red Devils at the end of the season, but United offered a generous gesture by providing him complete access to the club's training facilities.
And the United manager has insisted his remarkable record of winning the domestic title in the second season at all his previous clubs offers no guarantees that trend will continue this term, despite his optimism at his team's prospects of delivering the Premier League trophy.
It would be unfair to the exciting Englishman to say he didn't lead the line well enough, with many fans claiming he is more than ready to become the club's main goalscorer and that the iconic Swede's services were no longer required.
"Zlatan is injured and needs time to recover", Mourinho said on Friday. It's not something urgent, it's nothing that you are desperate to have it done or not done.
He has failed to reassure supporters so far, however, receiving criticism for what was a shaky performance in Macedonia that saw him lose Casemiro for Madrid's opening goal. He wants more football at the highest level so we are having conversations and discussing the possibility of him staying for the second part of the season'.
Manchester United start their Premier League campaign against West Ham at Old Trafford on Sunday, with kick-off at 16:00 BST.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has once again taken to social media to prove that he is 100% not human as he steps up his recovery from the ACL injury that brought a premature end to his 2016/17 season.
"The league is special because it is such a tough division to win", said Carrick.
"I don't think I am in a position to be moaning and crying". We also got a central midfielder and a striker.
"But if we cannot strengthen the team in this area, we have players we can trust".
- Venezuela expulsa a encargado de negocios de Perú
- Diego Edison Umaña, nuevo técnico de Rionegro Águilas
- Dispuesto el gobierno a revisar nuevo sistema penal acusatorio: Osorio Chong
- Perú expulsó a embajador venezolano
- Isco y el Real Madrid ya tendrían acuerdo para renovar contrato
- Rafa Márquez niega vínculos con crimen organizado
- Schwartzman cayó ante Haase y ya no quedan argentinos en Montreal
- Zinedine Zidane, DT del Real Madrid hasta el 2020
- ¿Qué hará la Federación Mexicana de Futbol con Rafa?
- Merkel, en contra de soluciones militares de Estados Unidos y Norcorea