UN Secretary General António Guterres called Myanmar's persecution of the Rohingya people "ethnic cleansing", saying there's no better word to describe the now 380,000 people forced to flee a violent military campaign-this after decades of discrimination and repression in Myanmar, where Rohingya are denied citizenship and rights, despite having been in the country for centuries.
US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell earlier told the senate Suu Kyi "agreed with the need for immediate and improved access of humanitarian assistance to the region, particularly by the International Red Cross, and she conveyed that she is working toward that end".
Over the course of the past few days, the United Nations has shifted its tone on the Rohingya crackdown in Myanmar, finally describing it as ethnic cleansing on Wednesday. The army says it is fighting militants and denies targeting civilians.
Hundreds of Muslims from different parts of Tripura under the banner of Tripura State Jamiat Ulema Hind held a massive protest yesterday against the atrocities on Rohingya Muslims by the Myanmar state authorities.
"Europe is in the process of seeing with the Myanmar government and neighbouring countries in what way we can be useful".
A U.N. panel of experts defined it as "rendering an area ethnically homogeneous by using force or intimidation to remove persons of given groups".
Myanmar's de facto leader and State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi will not attend the upcoming UN General Assembly session in New York as criticism of her handling of the Rohingya crisis grows.
The current crisis erupted on August 25, when an insurgent Rohingya group attacked police outposts in Burma's Rakhine state, killing a dozen security personnel.
The leaders of Tripura State Jamiat Ulema Hind accused the Burmese government of treating Rohingya Muslims so cruelly that has never been witnessed across the world.
The number of Rohingya Muslims fleeing violence in Myanmar has risen to nearly 400,000.
- Maduro organiza unas jornadas de solidaridad — Todos Somos Venezuela
- "Dybala se autoelimina de la Selección" — Grondona
- "Estamos cerquita de un acuerdo" — Maduro
- Francia y Australia ya divisan la final de la Copa Davis
- Sergio Agüero marcó tres goles en la gran victoria de Manchester City
- Alfredo del Mazo rindió protesta como gobernador del Estado de México
- Zidane y las bajas ante el Betis
- Menna participa de encuentro nacional de Cambiemos
- A las 8:00 arranca desfile cívico militar
- No deal on DACA after meeting with Democrats, Trump says