For the last couple of seasons, the brand new Hybrid engines that Renault built were very uncompetitive against the newer and quicker Mercedes power plants, and in the opening season with the engines in 2014, there were many malfunctions that made team manager Christian Horner furious against the French company, causing Red Bull to either pull out of the deal or Formula One altogether.
Ricciardo and his Dutch teammate Max Verstappen have the option to look elsewhere after 2019, and if the Honda engine does not pass their standards, then it might be possible that both could go to another team.
This follows the launch of Red Bull's recent Singlish challenge video, where the duo attempted to guess phrases such as "catch no ball", "kan cheong spider" and "fly aeroplane". "Next year will be a Tag-Heuer-branded Renault".
Ayrton Senna's feud with fellow all-time great Alain Prost when the pair were at McLaren from 1988 to 1989 is the rivalry that has set the standard.
Renault's Nico Hulkenberg was fifth on the day while it was a positive session for McLaren's Stoffel Vandoorne and Fernando Alonso, who were sixth and seventh.
Team-mates sometimes get in the way of each other doing the job, however, and even Hakkinen, who enjoyed a cordial relationship with David Coulthard during his title-winning years, had to deal with a collision with the Scot at the 1999 Austrian GP that sent him from pole to the back of the field. It has also contributed S$1.4bn in tourism receipts to Singapore over the past decade and drawn over 450,000 international visitors, including projected arrivals for this year's race.
"I'm after a dominant weekend and so far this has been a good start", said a confident Ricciardo.
"Today's announcement gives us the stability we need to move ahead with our chassis and technical programme for 2018 without any further hesitation", said McLaren executive director Zak Brown. The current F1 regulations will end its cycle in 2020.
Earlier this week, it was reported that McLaren and Honda will be parting ways at the end of the current season of Formula 1.
- Deja un muerto explosión de polvorín en Zumpango
- Trump desmintió un acuerdo con los demócratas para proteger a los "soñadores"
- Satellite images of Myanmar village burning — Rohingya crisis
- Casa Blanca: posición sobre Acuerdo de París no ha cambiado
- Araoz será la nueva presidenta del Consejo Ministros
- Abandonan a dos menores de edad en carretera Telolapan, Guerrero
- Maduro dice estar "cerquita" el acuerdo de convivencia con la oposición
- Irma: 41 muertos y 6 millones de personas sin luz
- Falcao García se declaró culpable ante Hacienda por evasión de impuestos
- Un River alternativo juega ante San Martín (SJ)