ENGLAND followed up their goalless draw against Germany with another disciplined defensive display to keep Brazil at bay last night, with Gareth Southgate's youth policy again showing some promising signs. "We had a game-plan to play in the first half and they made that hard for us so we had to adapt on the pitch and we did".
"I've got a wardrobe full of shirts at home and I think they're all full-backs because it wasn't high on my list of priorities to go and swap", Southgate said, smiling.
"Whether that's something on the training ground, whether that's in sessions we do away from the training ground or something we do in some sort of match scenario, we've not finalized things like that yet".
Gomez came off the bench in Friday's 0-0 draw with Germany, replacing the crocked Phil Jones after 25 minutes.
Southgate believes his players face a tougher task against a side he deems to be the "best team in the world".
Graeme Le Saux's brilliant volley from distance gave the hosts the lead but precocious teenager Ronaldo scored his first international goal to inspire Brazil to victory.
"We have world class players and team leaders in Neymar, Willian and Thiago Silva". They're a settled team and an outstanding team and it will take some team to stop them next summer. "The whole team defensively put in a good shift".
With Neymar, Gabriel Jesus and Philippe Coutinho in a Brazil starting lineup packed with experience and quality, the match had the potential to be a torrid evening for England. Southgate urged his Young Lions to not be daunted when facing a star-studded attack - Gomez certainly rose to the occasion.
Brazil - and Neymar - will be stepping up several levels come the World Cup and any issues in breaking down doughty defences better be sorted out now.
The second half was slightly livelier, with Rashford bursting through early on before being crowded out before Brazil counter-attacked and Neymar poked a clever pass to Dani Alves who forced a smart save from Hart.
- " "Maradona: "¡Quiero volver a la Selección!"
- Niña genio mexicana termina maestría a los 16 años de edad
- Venezuela entró en default parcial de su deuda
- Mascherano sin vueltas: "El segundo tiempo nos pasaron por encima"
- 220 ebrios al volante fueron sancionados durante el puente festivo
- Lawsuit Alleges Calif. Tesla Factory is a 'Hotbed For Racist Behavior'
- Bolsa Mexicana abre con baja de 0.18 por ciento
- Jennifer Lopez, salpicada por otra denuncia de acoso sexual
- Irlanda y Dinamarca, por un lugar en el Mundial
- Alemania empató a Francia en una de las últimas