Wildfires driven by Santa Ana winds continue to ravage Southern California Wednesday evening, as firefighters anticipate conditions worsening through the night.
But even Wednesday, the size of the fire in Ventura County continued to grow.
In response to the fires, Gov. Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency. The airline's twitter account did suggest, however, that a travel advisory may be issued in order to help its customers better plan their travel to and from the region.
It is only 5% contained, according to Cal Fire authorities, with tempered hopes for progress throughout the day given a surge in the Santa Ana Winds. "Our main concern at the moment is for the safety of our neighbors and first responders". However, although numerous freeway closures are significantly affecting LAX-bound traffic, the airport itself is not facing any major flight delays at this time.
About 500 firefighters were battling the fire that destroyed multiple structures, Ventura County said on its website.
Heiress Hilton wrote: 'This wildfire in LA is terrifying!
The fire was stoked by wind gusts of up to 70 mph (115 kph) that were expected to remain in the area along with low humidity through the week, the National Weather Service forecast. The blaze was so close to the road that both directions of the freeway were closed, and homes were evacuated in Bel-Air.
Travelers should really be more concerned about getting to LAX than off the ground.
People are also advised to drink plenty of fluids "to keep respiratory membranes moist" and to avoid doing anything that will stir up ash. The blaze has now grown to 150 acres.
She said her husband, Hugo Romero-Rodriguez, was racked with guilt that he couldn't get inside the modest RV his family called home to rescue anything - including their beloved little dog, Coqueta. It has totally destroyed four structures and damaged 11 others.
One motorist was killed fleeing the fire, a local ABC affiliate reported.
- Ford se lleva producción de nuevo eléctrico de EU a México
- Estos son los ganadores del sorteo 'La suerte de ser chileno'
- Sporting Cristal: DT Mario Salas niega contacto con rimenses
- Catalanes se manifiestan en la sede de la Unión Europea
- Sheinbaum pide licencia; busca precandidatura al gobierno de CDMX
- 600.000 personas sin agua potable por deslizamiento — Quito
- Las aplicaciones de juego online para dispositivos móviles
- Instagram convierte 'Direct' en una nueva app de mensajería instantánea
- Alcácer firma su primer gol como culé
- Fox anuncia nuevo director para película sobre Freddie Mercury