Republicans control the House by a comfortable margin, while even many Democrats are lukewarm or cold to the idea of impeachment.
Al Green plans to force a vote in the House on December 6 to impeach President Donald Trump. The articles of impeachment he brought against Trump in October accused the president of "fueling an alt-right hate machine" that's "causing immediate injury to American society".
The top two Democrats in the House of Representatives came out Wednesday against an effort to impeach President Trump, shortly before the House is expected to vote to kill the effort. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) called impeachment a waste of time and energy, while Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) urged patience for frustrated Democrats who wanted to bring impeachment proceedings against Trump.
"For too long, we have allowed our civility to prevent us from confronting the invidious incivility of President Donald J. Trump", he said.
And for the same reasons, if I am presented with a vote on this subject, I'll vote my conscience and support impeachment. The president blamed both sides for the violence, including counter-protesters, sparking criticism from many who saw it as an equivocal response.
According to CNBC, Green said Trump is "unmindful of the high duties of his high office and the dignity and properties thereof". The vote was not on the articles of impeachment themselves but on tabling the proposal. The special counsel's investigation is moving forward as well, and those inquiries should be allowed to continue. Although his speech is not criminal, it divides and damages the country, Green wrote in a letter to his colleagues, according to CNN.
All Republicans voted to turn away Green's resolution, while four Democratic lawmakers voted present.
Green's articles of impeachment do not allege Trump has specifically committed a crime.
Watch Green introduce the resolution below.
It is vital, however, that we distinguish impeachable offenses from offensive behavior, divisive political instincts, ineptitude, and poor judgment. "It is premature", Schumer told The Daily Beast in November.
Other Democrats have also proposed articles of impeachment this year, but they have not forced a vote on the issue.
- Donald Trump not averse to dangerous gamble with Jerusalem recognition
- TV Azteca y Televisa, en pláticas para transmitir Final Regia
- Las aplicaciones de juego online para dispositivos móviles
- GOP lawmakers cite new allegations of political bias in FBI
- Samsung produce primeros chips con 512GB de almacenamiento Flash
- Poroto Cubero fulminó a su ex ya Facundo Moyano
- Desde enero, las estaciones dejarán de recibir tarjetas
- Colombia cumplió la meta de erradicación de cultivos de coca: MinDefensa
- La inflación en noviembre aumentó 4,12%, según el Dane
- Pichetto armó su interbloque en el Senado — Cristina afuera