"My coach and team always said 'only go to tournaments when you are prepared to go all the way'".
But the news is more positive for the former world number one after it was revealed he is set to feature at the Kooyong Classic next week and the Tie Break Tens evening exhibition at Melbourne Park.
"After competing in Abu Dhabi I realized that although I am super close, I'm not where I personally want to be", Williams said in a statement.
He pulled out of last week's Mubadala WTC exhibition in Abu Dhabi only hours before his match with Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut when the pain in his right elbow flared up and also withdrew from the Qatar Open in Doha.
This press release at the player's official website says the former Australian Open champion will play the two exhibition tournaments in Melbourne and after that, he'll make the decision on playing or not the 'Happy Slam', which he has won six times.
Serena has not played a competitive match since claiming a record-equalling slam at the Australian Open last year, having given birth to her first child in September.
"The memory of last year's Open is one that I will carry with me, and Olympia and I look forward to coming back again", she said.
Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tiley said: "The true champion Serena is has been demonstrated in the herculean efforts she has made over the past few months in her desire to play the Australian Open".
World number 22 Kei Nishikori, a three-time quarter-finalist in Melbourne, will definitely miss the Australian Open however with a wrist injury.
"It was never going to be good enough for her to just compete, she wants to give herself the best chance to win", Tiley said.
Djokovic has not played competitively since withdrawing from the quarter-finals of Wimbledon in July.
- Inflación anual llega a 6.77% en diciembre de 2017: INEGI
- Buenos Aires Playa 2018
- Montillo se entrenó con Tigre en su vuelta al fútbol
- Enrique Peña Nieto inaugura el CENTA
- Zidane no quiere nuevos fichajes pese a la "crisis" del Real Madrid
- Trump está abierto a conversaciones entre EEUU y Corea del Norte
- Bayern Munich con Vidal los 90 minutos venció al Bayer Leverkusen
- FÚTBOL-Uruguayo Britos regresa a México para jugar con Querétaro
- "Estamos esperando que Pinares venga a la U" — Fuentes
- Piden investigar a Moyano y al correo OCA por lavado de dinero