However, it was the art of Neapolitan pizza-making, or 'Pizzaiuolo, ' earning its spot on UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage list last year that pushed French bakers to request the same recognition for the French culinary staple.
President Emmanuel Macron is hoping to lend some serious sway to a campaign by his country's bakers to have the iconic doughy delicacy secure a place on UNESCO's "intangible heritage" list.
THE French baguette should be listed as a Unesco cultural treasure, France's President Emmanuel Macron has claimed.
Why do the French think this is necessary?
The French President said that the baguette is part of "the daily life of the French, in the morning, at midday and in the evening".
Artisan bread makers in France have often raised concerns about the rise of mass-produced imitations of their 'national treasure' tarnishing their traditions. But while the Eiffel Tower enjoys international protection, the humble French bread is defenseless in the face of supermarket chains' onslaught.
The traditional baguette is already protected in France by a 1993 law.
To be a true French baguette, the dough must be made from only four ingredients - wheat flour, water, yeast and salt - and must not be frozen or contain any added preservatives. It is also forbidden for the bread to be frozen before it is put on the shelves.
President Macron once said that he never published the three books he wrote as a young man because he was unsatisfied with them. Yoga, Spanish flamenco and Tibetan Opera have already made the grade, as have Belgian beer culture and the gingerbread craft of northern Croatia. That submission was centred mostly around the rituals that accompany the cuisine: how wines are paired with dishes, how the table is dressed, and the precise placing of glasses and cutlery.
Maëlle Brun, the author of Brigitte Macron, l'Affranchie (The Unfettered Woman), interviewed a neighbour of the Macron family in Amiens, northeast France.
The list, which is reviewed annually includes items "that testify to the diversity of the intangible heritage and raise awareness of its importance".
- Trump 's***hole' remarks dishonor 'American creed — African Union
- Valverde, sobre Mina: "Un poco de alegría y gracia no viene mal"
- México mantendrá postura firme en renegociación del Tlcan, Peña Nieto
- Un terremoto en Perú dejó 20 heridos y 1 muerto
- Los escalofriantes detalles que entregó Nahir Galarza del asesinato de su novio
- Yerry Mina se presenta ante un Camp Nou con acento colombiano
- Santos crea contingente "Hércules" contra delincuentes en Nariño
- "No nos saldremos del Banco Mundial" — Ministro de Economía
- Las aplicaciones de juego online para dispositivos móviles
- Gobierno y oposición venezolana intensifican esfuerzos en busca de acuerdos