Tensions have been heightened in recent years as Pyongyang has stepped up its nuclear testing programme and the tweets of Donald Trump have threatened to ignite the conflict.
US Vice President Mike Pence is also attending the opening ceremony and has publicly and repeatedly warned South Korea not to let down its guard to a North Korean charm offensive. The athletes' blue and white uniforms represent the Korean unification flag.
North and South Korea speak the same language based on the Hangeul alphabet, but differences have emerged since the 1950-53 conflict which left the two sides at a technical state of war. He has referred to the games as the "Olympic Games of peace".
Kim Yo Jong is probably Kim's closest confidant and is a senior cadre in North Korea's ruling party. He's been very clear what his message is. Instead, they said, Kim simply wasn't seated in the area where Pence was receiving well-wishers. Hamlin then won a coin toss to carry the U.S. flag in the opening ceremony. She gave a powerful speech to pitch her home country to the Olympic committee, and it worked.
Two members of the joint Korean hockey team carried the Olympic torch up a steep flight of stairs, and spectators gasped in unison when they realized the torch would be given to 2010 Olympic figure skating champion Yuna Kim to light the flame. Five children then appeared, taking the audience on a journey to the past, present and future. The Australian Institute of Sport replied to the Instagram video. For them, it meant the peaceful use of something explosive and lethal - gunpowder - deployed in hopes the noise and light would scare away evil spirits.
North Korea athletes are under constant surveillance.
It remains uncertain whether such drills would interrupt potential plans for a third ever inter-Korean summit - the last of which was held in 2007. He also apparently urged concrete action on the nuclear and missile issue. "He cheered for the USA", the official said. They have locals with insider information, creative food and drink offerings, and ambiance that will make you want to spend the day. He added that he "wanted the honor of meeting with the men and women who fled the tyranny of North Korea".
- MP impidió pérdida patrimonial por $48 millones por tráfico de combustible
- Elon Musk Explains Why SpaceX Prefers Smaller Rocket Engines
- Argentina se presentó en Pyeongchang con Gastaldi como abanderado — Juegos Olímpicos
- Ingeniero acusado por colapso en 19-S salió de prisión, dicen familiares
- Guaros debuta con victoria en la Liga de las Américas
- Zidane quiere pedir al Real Madrid que venda a Isco
- Dice Ricardo Anaya que la guerra sucia no lo detendrá
- Crean una "fuerza de despliegue rápido"
- Listo el costo de las entradas para la Monterrey Mexico Series
- El Dow Jones sufre la mayor caída en puntos de su historia