"I mean, I just completely lost rhythm, everything", he said. The 36-year-old marvel continues to defy the ageing process as he needed just 58 minutes to overpower the Serb with a brilliant display of Swiss timing.
It should be noted that Federer is bidding to snap his own mark as the oldest player to ever win the tournament, after setting the record last year. "But I recovered very quickly, and I got myself ready", he added.
The world No. 25 had been scheduled to face Argentina's Leonardo Mayer in a second-round match. Chardy's one win over Federer came in the 2014 Rome Masters.
Federer will be replaced by Spaniard Nadal - who is absent from the Masters tournament this year - if the 20-time grand slam champion loses before the semis.
Zverev held a 4-1 lead in the third set, but the German lost five straight games to be beaten. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text.
"Just some inexplicable, uncharacteristic errors, but that's I guess all part of those particular circumstances that I'm in at the moment". "Now we're in Indian Wells and that's my focus and not what I have achieved in the past".
Yet he failed to serve out the opening set at 5-3 before losing it in a tiebreaker. "You don't have pain, but you're still thinking about it".
On a day when several seeds fell, the Serbian's loss and Zverev's departure at the hands of Joao Sousa were the biggest surprises.
"I probably won't play in the very beginning, you know, meaning Monaco". It was actually quite interesting.
"The nighttime is much deader. He puts the ball wherever he wants", Daniel said.
However, Federer - who powered into the fourth round on Monday - is not focused on his ranking.
Federer, who finished off Federico Delbonis in a rain-disrupted match to reach the third round, said he understands how even a champion like Djokovic could be struggling to find his game so soon after having surgery. Playing aggressively and making Djokovic move, Daniel would quickly erase the deficit and would end up taking the first set in a tiebreaker.
Cilic, the second seed, disposed of Marton Fucsovics 7-5 6-3 and 2013 runner-up Del Potro outclassed Australian wildcard Alex de Minaur 6-2 6-1.
- Ronaldinho pide disculpas, la culpa fue de organizadores, dice
- Encarcelan a militares acusados de rebelión — Venezuela
- Ricardo Ferretti: "Debemos esperar un partido complicado, no podemos caer en desesperación"
- Maduro sobre los Clap: Nosotros tenemos que darle potestad directa para mandar
- Bolivia volvió a reclamar a Chile por la salida al mar
- Trump impide que Broadcom compre Qualcomm
- Denuncian a hombre por tocar indebidamente a menor de edad en Tijuana
- Parilli presentó un hábeas corpus para no ir preso
- Promulga Enrique Peña Nieto a Ley Fintech
- Asume Piñera Gobierno de Chile