Chivas of Guadalajara advances to Champions League final

Viernes, 13 Abr, 2018

Canadian Jonathan Osorio scored early and Toronto FC held on for a 1-1 draw with Club America on Tuesday night to advance to the CONCACAF Champions League final.

And more than 3,000 miles away, in Harrison, New Jersey, trouble also erupted in the stands during the semi-finals of the CONCACAF Champions League.

The first leg will be at BMO Field in Canada, and the winner will advance to the Club World Cup in the United Arab Emirates this December 12-22.

Guadalajara - 1962 champions - won the opening leg 1-0 on home soil and they managed to grind out a scoreless stalemate - keeping the Red Bulls scoreless for 180 minutes. Toronto FC endured a far tougher examination in the Azteca than the FIFA bid bods were likely to have given it.

In the 28th minute, Derrick Etienne Jr. rose above a crowd to get his head on a cross, but the attempt sailed over the crossbar.

The second leg was particularly one-sided in favour of the hosts, with the MLS side failing to convert one of their 20 shots at the Chivas goal in order to level the tie.

Bono came up big again five minutes later, throwing his hands up for a close-quarters save on Bruno Valdez, catching his own rebound to quiet Club América's offense. The 23-year-old shot-stopper was again called into action in the 64th minute, putting up a hand to stop a header from Alejandro Diaz.

Toronto FC will meet Chivas in the home-and-home total goals final.

As the game wore on Toronto captain Michael Bradley moved further and further back, helping to shore up TFC's defense.

Club América had a free kick right on the edge of the penalty area in the 84th minute, with goalkeeper Agustin Marchesín coming up to take the shot so his teammates to load up the box. His presence made a difference in the 80th minute when he stopped a potential breakaway by Diaz.

Andres Uribe tied it for Club América in the second minute of injury time on a penalty kick. His shot was blocked by Toronto F.C.'s wall.