But they crashed out at the quarter-final stage on Tuesday at the hands of Premier League rivals Liverpool, who sailed through to the semis 5-1 on aggregate.
After failing to win the Champions League once again, the FC crew discuss Pep Guardiola's tactics and his standing among the best managers of all time.
Barca have been extremely good defensively this season, but there was absolutely no sign of that solidity on this occasion as Roma followed a fairly straightforward game-plan - get the ball wide and deliver deep crosses to expose the lack of height of full-backs Nelson Semedo and Jordi Alba - and the visitors simply had no answers.
The biggest improvement effected by Valverde has been to tighten up his team defensively - not just in terms of the back four, but also the overall structure of the team to prevent the opposition from generating significant threat.
However, the laidback side of Klopp - he admits he finds time to be a bookworm - is reflected in how he felt he would have preferred to have watched the match. "This is part of football, sometimes these things happen".
The Spaniard's current contract expires at the end of next term.
Guardiola shouted at the referee as his players made their way into the dressing room at the half-time, before he was ordered to spend the second half watching from the stands.
At Bayern Munich, he had Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Mueller leading the attacking line in addition to a supporting cast which included Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery - and still the Bavarian side managed to ship 12 goals across three knock-out ties.
If it is any consolation, he is far from alone in the Premier League in letting standards slip.
UEFA also charged Liverpool after their fans set off fireworks and threw objects inside the Etihad Stadium.
"We are Barcelona and we've got a 4-1 lead against Roma from the first leg", they may have been thinking.
Liverpool do of course have a rich Champions League history, most recently with the miraculous comeback in the 2005 Champions League final against AC Milan in Istanbul, although the Italians gained revenge in the final two years later.
Instead, it left them chasing a last-eight encounter which should have been theirs to own.
"I would really like to do that as well sometimes, drink beer and watch a Champions League game".
His obsession to detail was illustrated last week when he was spotted methodically lining up reporters' recording devices in front of him at his press conference.
- Transmisión en vivo: Pachuca vs Santos Laguna, Clausura 2018
- Acusan priistas agresión de CNTE en Oaxaca
- "Las potencias occidentales perdieron su credibilidad frente al mundo" — Al Asad
- Tras ruptura, Selena y Justin Bieber asisten juntos a la iglesia
- Tianguis Turístico 2018 da inicio en Mazatlán
- River Plate vs. Rosario Central: se miden por la Superliga argentina
- Capturan a presunto líder de la Mara Salvatrucha en Valle de Chalco
- Médicos advierten que criminalizar al gremio fractura relación con pacientes
- One Liverpool fan predicted the outcome against Manchester City with unnerving accuracy
- Invita la Cruz Roja a campaña de lentes