Also it absolutely was attained by playing a brand of football that has got the purists purring all season with City racking up 93 aims thus significantly and on path to top the 100-point barrier.
Mourinho and United still has a chance of wining a trophy this season - the FA Cup - and on Saturday face Spurs at Wembley stadium in the semifinals of the tournament.
Jose Mourinho's side had prevented their neighbours winning the title with a stirring comeback last weekend, but an unlikely defeat to the Baggies secured a third Premier League title for their cross-city rivals. "Man City, we won you the league", they chanted on their way out.
Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial began the game on the bench, but the players picked ahead of them only made a case for why the pair should start more often.
Mourinho suggested before the game he was "surprised" they are bottom of the Premier League, but the time for the "too good to go down" debate has been and gone. Jay Rodriguez's goal after 72 minutes was enough to give the travelling supporters something to shout about after a dire campaign. Since this game was played in two huge contrasts, I'll be giving two ratings for each player - One for the first half, one for the second. He was hoodwinked by last week's game.
902 - The number of passes completed in a one-sided 1-0 victory over Chelsea in March represented a new benchmark since Opta began recording the data in 2003-04. Jesus and a Ilkay Gundogan penalty put City deservedly 2-0 up inside half an hour.
Jay Rodriguez has scored three goals in his past four Premier League appearances - as many as he did in his previous 26 combined. He must know they are not United standard, he must know that having a defence as poor as this fundamentally undermines any hopes of winning a title. "We have spent a lot of money to have these amazing players, to make that possible".
He is right. But it is his, ultimately, job to build a squad that does not have that mentality.
Defeat can then be accepted, it can be more palatable, because freak results happen sometimes in football.
Caretaker boss Darren Moore is a popular figure at Albion and has quickly introduced the kind of togetherness and organisation so stark by its absence under Alan Pardew, who was sacked at the beginning of the month.
- BCRD informa que el IPC de marzo registró una variación de 0.37%
- Bayern to tackle Madrid, Liverpool face Roma in Champions League semis
- Victoria de los Jaguares en su visita a Rebels — Super Rugby
- Salah hits 40 goals with header (insert Harry Kane joke here)
- Papa Francisco se manifiesta "profundamente trastornado" por ataques en Siria
- Medio salvadoreño denuncia desaparición de una de sus periodistas
- Aumentan los cigarrillos por cuarta vez en el año
- Matan a alcalde con licencia de Jilotlán, Jalisco
- Diputados aprueban en comisiones uso de gas pimienta
- Marihuana sintética: dos muertos y decenas con sangrado severo